Saturday, April 30, 2011

01Z 1 May 2011 Forecast Discussion

Julie, in the F am telcon, indicated there were 3 situations under which she would like to gather data (Julie, please correct if I have this wrong):
1. A day that has strong surface heating and light winds (without pcpn, of course);
2. Morning transition under some wind, e.g., stable conditions at 6m/s to (dry) convective at 8m/s;
3. Howling wind (I assume meaning gusts > 25m/s).

At this writing, it looks as if Monday, particularly before noon, might qualify for candidacy under #1. Winds aloft should be fairly light as the upper trough now to our southwest slowly pulls out, and any pcpn (likely snow) should be over by then. I will look at this again late Sunday and report.

John b.


1 comment:

  1. Hi John,

    The overarching criteria is that winds should be from the northwest - otherwise, we won't get the radial component of velocity that we need. Although ESE winds would also be good so that HRDL and the met tower would be in the wake... -- Julie

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.