Friday, April 29, 2011

Siemens WRF vs. NREL M2 April 27th


I've learned, thanks to Paul's impeccable eye for detail, that the reference lat/lon points for our WRF domain were actually somewhere near Loveland. Obviously, comparing our WRF output to the NREL M2 tower in this case would be fruitless. I have since improved our script and I think the results are at least interesting, if not slightly reliable.

I have plotted a simple time-series comparison for 12Z on Wednesday to 06Z Today. I do notice that WRF discovers the structure that caused a drop in wind speed and change in direction around 13Z on Thursday, however WRF settles on a WSWly direction while the M2 measured a NNEly direction. I don't know why this is - except possibly WRF's inability to find the correct SFC high distribution. In spite of that discrepancy, both modeled and observed wind speeds are fairly nice. Before the 13Z shift, I can't say what small structure was associated with the observed fall in wind speeds overnight. WRF on the other hand expected a higher winds.

I do not claim to be a brilliant scientist, so if any of you have feedback, please feel free.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.