whoo-hoo!
I'm not out to the site yet, but I took a peek at the Windcube lidar data, and we have perfect conditions. At 8:41pm MDT in Table Mesa, we had a density current roll through around the same time the Windcube started picking up. Look at that shear! Maybe I won't need lots of coffee to keep me awake tonight....
Julie,
ReplyDeleteWhat in the data tipped you off that there was a density current? Windshift? Temperature change? Something else interesting happened around 3:15 AM MDT because there was a sharp loss of windspeed and a temperature drop...and somewhat of a recovery after this point.
We will stop by on site this morning briefly and perform another WRF run today to post to the blog. Good luck on the rest of the IOP experiment!!
--Paul Quelet
Hi Paul, We have a thermometer at our house and regularly see density currents coming through in the evening (and we hear them, too). Most of the night was really interesting; I'll post more later. There was a time around 10pm that we thought we'd call it off because the flow was so quiescent, but thankfully it picked up again before midnight. Looking forward to your WRF runs - it would be very helpful if you could include wind direction, too.
ReplyDelete